Payasa/payasam is another name for kheer.. but here I have used only coconut milk not cow’s milk.
- Take out your trusty old pressure cooker.
- In it roast a TBS or two of cashews and raisins in ghee.
- (I prefer golden raisin, but didn’t have any on hand)
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Also in the cooker add 1/2c split moong dal – roast in ghee until it smells good.
- Add 1.5c water and pressure cook 2-3 whistles.
- While that is cooking, Boil 1/2c jaggery in 1/2c water till melted. Remove the foam, and strain if necessary.
- Mash the dal.
- To the dal add jaggery syrup and 1c coconut milk (I used canned Thai brand organic)
- Add 1t cardamom powder.
- Bring back to a boil for a few minutes till the flavors combine and it slightly thickens.
- Stir in the dried fruits and nuts.
- Serve hot/warm.